Garden tramway

Melbourne boasts one of the largest tramway systems in the world. Operated by Yarra Trams, the Melbourne network consists of 24 routes and an additional free tourist service. Discussions here for Melbourne's trams.

Garden tramway

by Melbournesparks » October 17th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Recently I've been building a tramway in my garden. It is 45mm gauge and approximately 1:24 scale, with working overhead wires and trolley poles. Here's some photos and videos:

The toastrack tram at the depot. Here it is in the process of having its cabs rebuilt.

Some overhead wiring. The wire is single strand copper from old mains electrical cable I found in a bin.

I built this stubby green tram when I was in high school. It is sort of like a very short X class.

The tostrack tram after painting in the MMTB chocolate and cream colour scheme.

Here is some videos too:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Senior Vice President
Senior Vice President

Re: Garden tramway

by The Met » October 18th, 2015, 2:20 pm

That looks absolutely stunning! It looks extremely realistic and has some very nice classic tram features. I can see a lot of hard work and effort went into designing that and it's always fantastic to see projects like this.
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: Garden tramway

by Melbournesparks » October 28th, 2015, 12:16 am

The Met wrote:That looks absolutely stunning! It looks extremely realistic and has some very nice classic tram features. I can see a lot of hard work and effort went into designing that and it's always fantastic to see projects like this.

Thanks it has been a lot of fun. The overhead has been working surprisingly well, it didn't get damaged in the big storm the other day.
Here's some more updates:

Steam tram motor under construction:

It was felt that the line needed some non electric motive power for all the (anticipated to be frequent) times the overhead is out of commission.

Nice night for a run.

Pay no attention to the giant velociraptor.
Senior Vice President
Senior Vice President